When I was in my late thirties I realized that working in a government position was no longer working for me. I had two small children and a husband who was travelling internationally for weeks at a time throughout the year. Now was my time to think about what I wanted to do next. Shortly after this time, I took a leave of absence from work and started plans to create a business called Women in Biz Network. Ten years later we are still growing strong!
If you don’t fall into a career change then reflection and assessment of your career successes and setbacks is definitely something to consider. Here are some critical steps to take:
1. Take time to reflect without pressuring yourself
Here are a few things to consider:
- What would you do if you weren’t paid for it?
- What did you want to do growing up?
- What parts of your career do you regret or dislike?
- Do your hobbies or volunteer pursuits hold any career secrets?
- What type of life are you looking for?
- When do you want to retire (Did you know? Trends indicate that many people want to have meaningful paid work into their seventies)
- Do you have any restrictions or deal breakers?
- Have you ever dreamed over starting your own business, consulting or freelancing?
2. Learn more about your personality, strengths and values
There are many amazing books and online quizzes/assessments to help you learn valuable information about you. My favourites are:
- The VIA Institute on Character helps people change their lives by tapping into the power of their own greatest strengths. Established as non-profit organization in 2001, we set out – and continue to – advance both the science and practice of character, and empower those on their strengths-building journey. That’s why we make our research accessible to everyone and offer the VIA Survey free of charge, worldwide. VISIT HERE
- Strengthfinder 2.0
- 16 Personalities
3. Write about yourself
Review your biography, or write/update it. Think about what sort of legacy or impact you want to leave on the world:
- What values are important to you? What organizations do you know have those values?
- What makes you happy?
- What leaves you energized? What leaves you drained?
Related read: The power of a pause: lifesaving advice
4. Talk it through
Book a session with a career/branding coach. Leigh Mitchell, founder of Women in Biz Network can assist with this – either she can help you or recommend someone for you. Reach out by scheduling an appointment.
Test the waters by updating your Linkedin profile to let your network know how they can help. We can assist with Linkedin profile revamps as well.
Incredible PR Coverage for your Business or Brand$1,000.00
Boost Your Sales Free Online Resources + Membership$325.00
Program + Membership: Designing a Career and Business that works Best for You$450.00
Business building program for coaches (6 month program)
Lifetime Membership – One Unbelievable Low Price$795.00
Heart & Soul Startup Marketing Package – 8 hours of Coaching + 1 Year WIBN membership$2,000.00
Career Clarity, Job Search & Linkedin Revamp package$2,000.00
WIBN Membership -Get the Support of 6 Mentors Each Month$300.00 / year
Women in Biz Network will help you grow your brand and become a sought after leader in your industry
About Us: Women in Biz Network is Canada’s leading organization for empowering women through a variety of online and in-person mentorship programs for women in technology and business. Women in Biz Network provides online resources which connect professional and entrepreneurial women with mentors to increase opportunities as well as an array of online tools, programs and information to help women succeed in business and life. Since 2010, Women in Biz Network has mentored over 2,600 women in Canada and is an online community of over 35,000. Women in Biz Network also provides marketing, events, and professional consulting services. For more information go to www.womeninbiznetwork.com and connect with us on social media at @womenbiznetwork.