The idea of a bucket list is far from new. If you do a quick Google search, it will yield an unending list of results that range from travel to personal and professional development. But have you considered a bucket list for your career or business? Wouldn’t it be exciting to have a list of all the Big Hairy Audacious Goals (BHAG) and accomplishments that would light you up and give you an added dose of inspiration every morning?
Crafting a list of dream goals for your career or business can work wonders to get your head out of your current situation and to dream up an upgraded and more meaningful life. However, the idea of a bucket list can be daunting because of the misconceptions around them. After all, every year, we hear endless chatter about grand intentions and lofty goals for those looking to turn their lives around. It’s the very reason that people debate the relevance of New Year resolutions and whether or not they work.
I’ve researched the topic and found that the business bucket list, although not as prevalent as the common bucket list of adventures and personal goals, has a similar thread of ideas woven through it. Those ideas can help you knock the smaller goals off your list as you prepare for bigger achievements in the future. It’s a great way to put conscious thought to where you are now and where you want to go.
The main takeaway for the bucket list is that it doesn’t have to be tied to a distant future and to your retirement years. With proper planning, you can get you to your goals sooner rather than later. Besides, when you’re inspired by a higher vision for yourself, you’ll be more inclined to take action. If you can think of the person you’d like to be 10 years from now, or how you’d feel to achieve phenomenal growth in your business, isn’t that a better intention than stringing together a bunch of random activities that won’t move the needle for your overall growth?
Here are some ideas to consider adding to your business bucket list and your career bucket list.
Business Bucket List:
- Land top tier investors
- Sell shares in your business
- Sell your business for a high profit
- Write a book on your area of expertise
- Hire a business coach to help you level up
- Become known as an expert in your field
- Become a mentor to share your knowledge
- Meet and work with a guru in your industry
- Create a sought-after internship program
- Plan and host a goal-setting retreat for your team/employees
- Implement a Corporate Sustainability (CSR) plan and give back to your community
- Buy back your time from your business and retire early
You might also like: Glennon Doyle on Control, Coping and Joy
Career Bucket List:
- Hire a life coach
- Land your dream job
- Learn a new language
- Become a mentor to new teammates
- Work for and negotiate a big promotion
- Become known as an expert in your field
- Live and work in a different city or country
- Lead the successful completion of a new project
- Volunteer to assist an organization execute charitable events
- Make a donation to a worthy cause that aligns with your core values
- Find a mentor who can help you set and achieve big career goals
- Speak up and make a change when the opportunity presents itself
- Face your public speaking fears; deliver a speech to an audience of 20+ people
- Retire early
As you think about these ideas, start visualizing how you will feel to accomplish them. Believe that you can, then get on your way to planning and making them a reality. As you work on your list, add items that are fun and exciting, and don’t shy away from those Big Hairy and Audacious Goals. There’s no limit to what you can dream or accomplish!
MORE ARTICLES FROM KIMESHA
- Success leaves clues
- Tips to pull off an incredible photoshoot
- Representation matters – diversity is good for business
- Mentorship matters – Kimesha’s advice
- Mental health tips
WOMEN IN BIZ NETWORK BELIEVES MENTORSHIP, IMPACT AND ACCOUNTABILITY UP-LEVELING
CAN CHANGE YOUR LIFE:
Women in Biz Network can help. We arrange Mentor Circles with an Accountability / Impact Club built in each month for our Mentor Circle Members. Lifetime members get these benefits plus a “one on one” mentor for 1 year.
Kimesha Walters is the CEO of Oasis Integrated Communications, a PR firm with operations in Canada and Jamaica, and a focus on helping businesses to find their paradise. She’s a seasoned PR professional with a passion for crafting meaningful stories that connect with people. An eternal optimist who thrives on perfecting solutions that marry creative brand experience with consumer engagement, she believes in tapping into the core values of a company and tailoring strategies that share their narrative and find affinity. Her experience spans public relations, corporate communications, marketing, social media and advertising across a range of industries. She has executed projects in Toronto, New York, and Jamaica where she has deftly managed some of the foremost brands across North America and the Caribbean.
Connect with Kimesha:
Interested in Women in Biz Network Mentoring Programs and Memberships? Learn more now:Our Membership Info Partnership Inquiry? Listen to our podcast Visit career/job site Attend our events Invest in a program
Women in Biz Network have been featured in national media in North America:
OPTIMIZE YOUR BUSINESS MODELTO SCALE
with Our Resident Business Coach & Mentor Natasha Mitchell
Over time your business grows and your original model may need adjustments.
We will discuss:
- Refining the value proposition
- Optimizing profit
- Structure for scale