As entrepreneurs there is no annual salary review or bonus given by the boss. We are the boss. There is no feedback or awards. Only friends and advisers willing to listen and bolster our spirits. But once a year lots of interest and accolades are given to small business owners during October. Get out the confetti…. it is time to celebrate! Small business month is almost here. As the leaves change colour and the weather is crisp (forget about the current heatwave) we look forward to events celebrating our success all month long!
Here are some resources to find events happening in your City. If you have an event happening in October we should know about please leave a comment on our post so we can promote your event too!
- British Columbia: Small Business BC is British Columbia’s premiere resource centre for knowledge-based business products and services. They’re hosting a series of special events and educational opportunities for BC’s entrepreneurs. For dates, please see the website at www.smallbusinessbc.ca.
- Women in Biz Network is hosting their annual Conference October 6 & 7 starring Danielle LaPorte and Jessica Holmes as well as industry and business experts from across North America. Book a free power session with a leading industry expert on site and learn from sessions planned through out the two days that will take your business to the next level. For more information: http://www.goforitevent.com
- Alberta: the Government of Alberta has a link to the small business events in the province throughout the month: Small Business Week in Alberta. Ottawa’s Entrepreneurship Centre has a stacked October events calendar as well: www.entrepreneurship.ca for details.
- Toronto: MaRS: MaRS is where science, technology and social entrepreneurs get the help they need. Where all kinds of people meet to spark new ideas. And where a global reputation for innovation is being earned, one success story at a time. http://www.marsdd.com/events
- Toronto: Small Business Forum October 23 (Enterprise Toronto): http://www.enterprisetoronto.com
- Toronto: The Art of Small Business: October 21, 2013 (ask us how members save with Art of … Conferences preferred
registration rate for WIBN Members) Membership info here: http://www.womeninbiznetwork.com/become-a-member
- Mississauga: Blissdom Canada October 3-5, 2013 : Canada’s largest social media conference for women
- Halifax: http://www.halifaxchamber.com/calendar
- Resources for Events across Canada:
So don’t forget to get out this October (and before) and network your little heart out! You never know who you are going to meet and what business it might bring you. Also, many events happening will be educational and will teach you new skills to get to the next level!
Need help while you are there? Here are some tips on how to perfect your elevator pitch: Check out our post on how to effectively communicate what you do and why we should work with you!
TIP: This is a great time to work your connections with local reporters and news media outlets… they are looking for small business stories all month- now is the time to tell your story…. Get ready now!