Are you a woman business owner or a woman who is thinking of becoming an entrepreneur? If so, this page can help you find information to start, manage and grow your business. You will also find information and links to programs and business support organizations specifically for women entrepreneurs.
Financing for women
Search our database of government grants, loans and financing to locate programs that best suit the needs of your business.
In addition, these specific financing programs are for women who are starting or growing their business.
- Women’s Enterprise Centre (British Columbia)
ONLY APPLIES TO: BRITISH COLUMBIA
If you are a woman living in British Columbia, you could get a loan to start, grow or buy a business.
- Alberta Women Entrepreneurs
ONLY APPLIES TO: ALBERTA
As a woman in Alberta, you can take advantage of this network and its tools to gain business skills and help your business succeed.
- Women Entrepreneurs of Saskatchewan Inc.
ONLY APPLIES TO: SASKATCHEWAN
If you are a woman living in Saskatchewan, you could get a loan, advice, training, referrals and more to start, grow or buy a business.
- Women’s Enterprise Centre (Manitoba)
ONLY APPLIES TO: MANITOBA
Are you a woman entrepreneur looking to start, expand or purchase a business? Get help to improve your business skills and acquire financing.
- Microlending for Women in Ontario Program
ONLY APPLIES TO : ONTARIO
As a woman entrepreneur, you may be eligible for business support training and microloans to help you start your business.
- PARO Centre for Women’s Enterprise
ONLY APPLIES TO: ONTARIO
As a woman entrepreneur in Northern Ontario, you can find coaching, training and peer lending programs to start or grow your business.
- Femmessor — Réussir en affaires
ONLY APPLIES TO: QUEBEC
You could obtain funding, training or mentoring for a project relating to the acquisition, start-up, expansion or consolidation of a business.
- Financial literacy — Resources Access information, tools and calculators that can improve your understanding of financial products and services.
Support organizations for women entrepreneurs
Connect with business advisors and peers who can help you develop your skills and achieve your business goals. These organizations may also offer business resources, mentorship and networking opportunities to help get you started.
- Business Women in International Trade Find key contacts, trade events, market opportunities and export advice from experienced businesswomen.
- Women’s business networks and associations Find support for growing your business from women’s business organizations across Canada and the world.
- Directory of women-owned businesses Consult this directory of women-owned businesses and consider adding your own business profile.
- Women in Business New Brunswick
ONLY APPLIES TO: NEW BRUNSWICK
If you are a woman who owns at least half of your business, you can access support and resources to help your business grow and succeed.
- Centre for Women in Business
ONLY APPLIES TO: NOVA SCOTIA
As a Nova Scotia woman entrepreneur, you can access support and resources at any business stage through this business development centre.
- Prince Edward Island Business Women’s Association
ONLY APPLIES TO: PRINCE EDWARD ISLAND
If you are a woman entrepreneur on Prince Edward Island, you can access services and support to foster the growth of your business.
- Newfoundland and Labrador Organization of Women Entrepreneurs
ONLY APPLIES TO: NEWFOUNDLAND AND LABRADOR
If you are a woman entrepreneur in Newfoundland or Labrador, you can get help to start, grow, and advance your business.
- Women’s Policy Office
ONLY APPLIES TO: NEWFOUNDLAND AND LABRADOR
Find out about gender equity related activities, violence prevention initiatives, and statistics and research on issues affecting women.
- Réseau des femmes d’affaires du Québec
ONLY APPLIES TO: QUEBEC
Seize the opportunity to network with this group and develop your skills through contact with more than 2,000 businesswomen in Quebec.(in french only)
- WBE Canada Certification Find out how your company can be certified as a women’s business enterprise in order to increase your access to contract opportunities in Canada and abroad.
- WEConnect International in Canada If you are a woman wishing to have your business certified as a Women’s Business Enterprise, this organization can evaluate your business readiness.
- Women in Communications and Technology Are you a woman entrepreneur in the communications sector? Find out how leadership development and mentoring services can help you achieve your goals.
- Women in Biz Network: Mentorship program, online business templates + tools, events and monthly mentoring classes
- Canadian Business Chicks Access networking events, a business directory, and newsletters for women entrepreneurs.
Do you want to find out more about starting, growing or managing your business? Events such as webinars, Twitter chats, tradeshows and networking events may help you learn more on a variety of topics.
Before starting a business it is recommended that you have a solid business plan. Access information on business plans, templates and learn more about doing market research.
- Business planning Find out how to write a business plan and access templates, sample business plans, market research information and statistics.
- Conducting market research Learn more about market research, how it can improve your business decisions, and how to conduct a market research campaign.
Find resources that can help you start your business.
- Choosing and setting up a location Trying to decide where to locate your business and how to arrange it once you get there? Consider your options.
- Naming your business Choose the right name for your business. Your business name should be unique and easy to remember, and should describe the products and services you provide.
- Registering your business Find out about the requirements to register your business with different levels of government.
Learn more about marketing, managing employees and how to run your small business on a day-to-day basis.
- Employees Discover how to recruit, hire and effectively manage your employees.
- Day-to-day operations Successfully managing the ups and downs of daily operations is the backbone of your business.
- Marketing and sales How well you market your business and interact with your customers can vastly influence your success.
- Selling to governments Learn how your business can take advantage of contracting opportunities from the federal, provincial, territorial, municipal and foreign governments.
- Growing Discover ways to expand your business, from innovation to entering international markets.
Regulation and Taxation
Find out what permits, licences you may need and regulations you will need to follow in order to successfully run your business.Find out what permits, licences you may need and regulations you will need to follow in order to successfully run your business.
Content courtesy of Canadian Business Network