“I think mentors are important and I don’t think anybody makes it in the world without some form of mentorship. Nobody makes it alone. Nobody has made it alone.” — Oprah Winfrey
You CAN be a mentor to someone. You have a strength (more than one!) and it is somebody else’s challenge. You might not even realize it, because it comes easily to you. Or maybe it’s something you have worked hard to achieve, and you know exactly how you got there. Either way, your experience can help another business owner.
What do I get out of being a mentor?
- Gain a fresh perspective on your own career
- Feel excited and energized from helping and giving back (remember you were once in their shoes!)
- The chance to watch your Mentee grow and develop with your help and support
- Increased leadership, communication and networking skills
- Need more reasons why? Take a look at this post from Forbes on How becoming a Mentor Can Boost Your Career.
What is involved?
- A discussion with your mentee over a phone call or in person for one hour per month
What is the commitment?
- We ask that you commit a minimum of one hour each month for six months. However, this relationship does not need to end at six months – it could continue on beyond this suggested time. We hope it does!
Can I be a mentee and mentor?
- Yes, we believe in cross mentoring. With diverse backgrounds and skill sets we can benefit all from cross mentoring. That could mean that you and your mentor look at ways you can both mentor each other or we match you with someone else as a mentee while you are also mentoring.