At Meridian, we’re committed to providing Canadians with exceptional banking, features, services, security, and advice so they can get everything they want from their money, and their lives. We are Ontario’s largest credit union and the second largest in Canada, with over 350,000 Members. Credit unions are not-for-profit, and more focused on community. At Meridian, our Members are owners – that means that any profit we make goes right back into improving our products and services and innovating new ways to enhance our Members’ lives. Meridian’s dedication to helping Canadians goes beyond banking. Thriving communities are essential to the individual well-being of our Members and the overall well-being of Canadians. That’s why we invest portions of our profits in financial literacy, local community organizations, environmental initiatives, co-op programs, and more. We also match our employees’ donations and empower them to get more involved in volunteering.
About the role:
This role is responsible for administering a broad range of support related to the Board of Directors and the Board Committees for Meridian and its subsidiaries, including Motus Bank. Working closely with the Executive Team and Board of Directors, this role manages and coordinates all aspects of Board operations, following policy and procedures within the governance framework of Meridian.
Reporting to the VP, Corporate Governance, this role will prepare and coordinate briefing materials for the Board and its Committees, including meeting, planning, preparation, coordinating travel arrangements, drafting resolutions, meeting minutes, agendas and other Board documents. The Governance Specialist will monitor, analyze and report on budget activity for the Board of Directors throughout the year for senior management/Board approval.
In addition, as may be required this role will conduct research and analysis on governance issues for the VP, Corporate Governance and the Corporate Secretary.
The role is within a small team of 3 members and requires an individual who works independently and who has high proficiency in technology, including:
- deep experience working with a board portal and Sharepoint
- expertise in Powerpoint slide presentations including statistical graphs
What you will do:
Annual General Meeting
- Leadership role in all aspects of the Director Nomination process, including updating the Nomination timeline and Candidate Application package and correspondence with the recruiting firm and candidates.
- Primarily responsible for planning and executing the Annual Report and Annual General Meeting (Sept-May annually)
- Includes coordinating & managing efforts within the AGM team (6-8 people across the organization)
Board Administration & Communications
- Manage the administration of the Board portal (APRIO), ensuring that all Board-related materials, including meeting materials, current internal policies and reference material are available to Directors.
- Oversees the appropriate sections of Meridiancu.ca which pertain to governance and ensures that information is regularly reviewed and updated as appropriate. This includes but is not limited to:
- Updating Board member biographies.
- Updating the Director Nominations website page and ensuring there is clarity on process and timelines.
- Act as a first point of contact for all matters relating to the Board and the Board Committees, including responding to questions and concerns, and triaging requests as required.
- Responsible for coordination of all Board and Committee meetings and conference calls
- Responsible for advising appropriate members of management of upcoming Board and Committee meeting dates to ensure the required materials are submitted within the required timeline.
- Act as a relationship manager with other internal areas and promote awareness of and adherence to established Board governance policies and procedures.
You might like: Top Canadian resources in response to COVID-19
One on One Mentor Match Membership One Year Mentor Membership
Women in Biz Network have been featured in national media in North America:
Our Membership Info Partnership Inquiry? Listen to our podcast Visit career/job site Attend our events Invest in a program