I found a chunk of achiote paste and wanted to use it up. The next thing you know… A beautiful meal was born!
So here you go:
- I cut 2 lemons in half and mashed the juice into the achiote with a small fork to create a marinade along with some dried herbs to cover a bone in breast of turkey.
- Also had 3 Caribbean sweet potatoes that I prepped into 1/2 inch discs and tossed with olive oil and some salt and pepper.
- Lined my cast iron skillet with the discs and placed the achiote marinated turkey in with them.
- Into the oven @385F for about 1 hour – flipped the disks half way through and used the occasion to add about a dozen discs of chorizo. Took it out of the skillet and left it all aside to cool down.
- In the meantime, I cut a spaghetti squash in half and put it on a cookie sheet, rubbed with olive oil and seasoned with salt and pepper – into the oven to roast for 45 mins.
- Now a handful of pancetta into the skillet at medium high to render down while I chopped up the turkey, chorizo, potato mix and when the moment was right.
- I mixed them all together in the sizzling skillet.
- When the squash was ready it came out of the oven and was processed into attractive spaghetti strands with the help of 2 ordinary forks.
- Combined it all together into a large bowl, fed everyone and ended up with a nice cache of leftovers.
It was very tasty, might need something more…please weigh-in, OK?.. I may try it again subbing chicken or pork instead of turkey. Maybe fresh herbs..?