Ideas for speaking opportunities
- Guest on a podcast
- Speaking on a panel
- Hosting an event
- Speaking at event or conference
- Define and build relationships with strategic partners
What you need to do
- Have a speaking demo video that you can share
- Prepare a speaking promotional file with references, topics that you speak on, what media exposure you have had
- Network and let your community know you are looking for speaking opportunities
- Target industry associations
- Google events on Facebook, Meetup and Eventbrite. Attend events and then let the organizers know you are available to speak at their events
- Be sure to be clear on what your niche is and what your ideal speaking opportunity looks like. Don’t say yes to everything = be strategic
- If you are nervous about speaking I suggest crafting a presentation and look for opportunities to present the same material numerous times to gain confidence and clarity in your message
- 21 ways to get speaking engagements
- Public speaking tips for introverts
- AllConferences.com, Lanyrd, Plancast, Conferensum and Conferize are online directories, just for conferences. Sign up for these services, customize your profile and wait for events to be delivered straight to your inbox.
- Setup of google alerts and social media to find speaking opportunities
Online tools let you perform searches across social media, blogs, videos, images and more. You can also limit your search by specific time frames, which makes it easier to manage.Try these:
Start A Conversation.
Send them a SHORT email asking about the conference. Preferably something they can answer with a short reply. Here’s an example…
I noticed your “Association of Beautiful Brewing Baristas” conference is coming up in a few months in Seattle. I have a presentation about helping your baristas go from Tall to Venti that I think would be a great fit for your conference!
I was curious if you have started taking proposals for workshop presenters yet?
- Develop a speakers package that you can send out, ask your network for referrals by sending it out with a short personalized email.
- Update your marketing plan to include speaking opportunities throughout the year
- Book new speaking opportunity this month and have a plan for how this could result in new business. Include a special offer that you need to follow-up on with participants – this could be presented in-person, via a webinar if possible have it recorded