Website Inertia Engineering, Design and Manufacturing
Inertia Engineering, Design and Manufacturing (Inertia) is growing and we are looking for a Principal Design Engineer to join our team – a highly skilled and experienced technical leader who thrives in a collaborative environment where a diverse range of complex new products are developed.
Inertia is a world-class team of new product design, engineering, and manufacturing experts, driven by results and obsessed with quality and customer service. Our mission is to partner with product innovators to transform their dreams into thriving businesses. We offer a full suite of product development services including market research, design, prototyping, engineering, manufacturing, and supply chain management – all to ensure our clients have what they need to successfully bring their products to market.
Inertia collaborates with clients across a variety of industries – from medical devices, to sports wearables, to internet connected devices. Ranging from start-ups to multinationals, our customers share the drive to develop innovative products. They recognize the value and capacity of Inertia to help them bring their ideas to reality, and into customers’ hands. The quality of our customers’ products speak for themselves – see examples of our work at www.inertiaengineering.com.
Who we are looking for
- bachelor’s degree in Mechanical or Mechatronic Engineering
- approximately 20 years of progressive experience in mechanical design and engineering of complex multi-disciplinary physical products
- extensive real-world practical experience successfully releasing and maintaining new products
- experience creating and maintaining product requirements throughout the design cycle
- deep knowledge of how to efficiently design mechanical systems, mechanisms, and structures
- extensive understanding of and experience in mechanical modeling and simulation methods such as structural, thermal, fluid dynamic finite element analysis software
- expert-level proficiency in using and administering mechanical design software such as CAD, PDM, PLM systems
- advanced hands-on knowledge and experience of a wide range of manufacturing methods
- a passion for continuous learning and finding a better way
- a love of learning, sharing knowledge, and helping people grow
- work that garners praise from peers and customers and the tangible results to prove it
You are someone who:
- has gone through the full product development cycle and released products into the field too many times to count – you know the highs and lows and want to do it all over again, even better next time
- is as comfortable in a customer facing role as they are doing the technical work
- likes to gather facts. You use them to help evaluate ideas and make decisions on what’s best for the product and the customer
- is great at communicating your ideas visually, verbally and in writing
- is the first to take on responsibility and the last to take credit (everyone gives it to you anyway)
- has a proven ability to develop constructive relationships with all internal and external partners
- can work collaboratively, effectively, and efficiently without ego getting in the way
- has the persistence and resourcefulness to overcome project obstacles and drive to resolution
- can tactfully and effectively address concerns or conflicts openly within the team and with customers
- can deal with uncertainty in a constructive manner and generate options for moving forward
- wants to make a real and positive impact on the people around you and the world at large
- does whatever it takes to get the job done. Without being asked.
As Principal Design Engineer reporting to the VP Product Development Operations, you will primarily serve as a technical expert and mentor. In this role you will:
- ensure excellence in mechanical design and engineering across multiple projects and teams considering customer, user, manufacturer, and organizational needs
- serve as the mechanical design and engineering functional expert for Inertia
- support product development project planning from initial customer discovery, project proposal creation, project execution through to product manufacturing and deployment in the field
- work with the various product development teams to ensure the creation of robust, practical, and manufacturable design solutions
- document and communicate aspects of the product development journey including status and challenges for the engineering team and customer in terms of design, risk, cost, and timing
- be responsible for meeting functionality, performance, scalability, safety, security, and other product requirements relating to mechanical systems
- direct and ensure product quality by leading teams through formal design reviews, development of DFMEAs, product verification, and validation plans
- lead and oversee the quality of design documentation, manufacturing drawings, including GD&T
- build strong relationships both internally with the team and externally with industry and clients
- study industry trends and ensure the team maintains and grows its technical leadership
- mentor and coach other design and engineering team members
- use Inertia’s BPMS (Business and Product Management System) to guide daily work
- identify and implement continuous improvement opportunities to ensure a great customer and team experience
- actively support and promote workplace health, safety, and wellness
- other duties as may be assigned
Interested in Joining Our Team?
Our people are our single biggest advantage. We have a talented and motivated team looking for more great people to work and grow with. We’ve built an amazing culture on a foundation of openness, service, and integrity – that also makes for a great place to work. We’ve been recognized as a 2020 Best Place to Work™ in Canada, ranking 11th for companies <100 employees based on our practices and survey results from all Inertia employees.
If you’re interested in becoming part of our team, learn more about our company values at www.inertiaengineering.com. If you feel your values fit with ours, then we’re off to a great start…
What We Offer
Competitive compensation and benefits are just the start. At Inertia you will have the opportunity to create your own experience, build the kind of career you want, and help build the kind of company you want to be part of. You’ll be treated as a part of the team from day one.
We create truly unique products and outstanding customer experiences. You’ll have the opportunity to be a key part of the customer journey, from first contact through to product delivery as Inertia works in all stages of the product development process.
We are big believers in continuous growth. You’ll have the opportunity to learn and grow, maybe more than any company you’ve ever worked with (our employees have told us so).
Friendliness and smarts are not mutually exclusive at Inertia. You’ll work with a diverse group of world-class team members that are open, collaborative, friendly and even a little nutty at times.APPLY NOW
Employment Type: Full Time
Primary Work Location: In office or remote with ability to visit Toronto, Ontario office as needed.
Salary: $120K – $140K. Commensurate with knowledge, skills, experience, and local market conditions.
At Inertia we value and celebrate diversity and are committed to providing a safe and inclusive workplace. Inertia is committed to being an equal opportunity employer.
How to Apply: If this feels like a role and place where you will thrive, please submit your application online through the link provided on this page.
To apply for this job please visit inertia-engineering.breezy.hr.